iMOD Forum

To report a problem/bug or request a new feature,
please go to its subcategory in 'iMOD-GUI' or 'iMODFLOW' below

First-time users: please have a look here for info on the iMOD forum-principles.

« Back to User Questions

So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Hi,
I was wondering: I use a 200m resolution IDF file for a DTM, but a 1km resolution IDF file for recharge. I base most of my IDFs on my DTM (so also my boundary file). What happens internally during a run then? Does iMOD automatically take the finest resolution file, or does it stick to the boundary file or such?

Cheers,
Rogier
RE: So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution?
Answer (Unmark)
9/7/16 9:34 AMas a reply to Rogier Westerhoff.
Hi Rogier,

When running iMODFLOW, Imod will check Data Set 6 in the RUN file to see for what window and what cell size calculations should be done.
(see explanation in link to iMOD User Manual chapter 10.8).
Based on the given cell size, IDF's are scaled to this window and cell size.

Greetings,
Frans
Answer (Unmark)
9/7/16 11:44 PMas a reply to Frans Roelofsen.
Thanks. I assume you mean data set 6 in chapter 10.9 (iMOD_User_manual_V3_4.pdf).

But that does not answer my question on how iMOD decides on what the resolution is. Does it take the finest dataset?
Answer (Unmark)
9/8/16 9:16 AMas a reply to Rogier Westerhoff.
Hi Rogier,

From your question I understand that you run an iMODFLOW model with IDF files with different resolutions / cell sizes.
From the RUN file you use, iMODFLOW will read data set 6. e.g. "58000 423000 109000 474000 200 0" to get the resolution.
This data set means a modelrun for the window xmin=58000, ymin= 423000, xmax=109000 and ymax=474000 with a resolution of "cell size = 200".
The RUN file can for instance contain a 1 km resolution Recharge file and a 100 m resolution River file.
Internally, during a run, all files will be downscaled of upscaled to the given 200 m resolution.

Frans