iMOD Forum

To report a problem/bug or request a new feature,
please go to its subcategory in 'iMOD-GUI' or 'iMODFLOW' below

First-time users: please have a look here for info on the iMOD forum-principles.

« Back to User questions

Is there a limit to number of characters in coordinate field?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Hello,

New iMOD and modeflow user here, so please bear with me!

I have been trying to setup a simple flow model, but keep getting a "An error occurred in starting your simulation" message.

Checking the .list file shows the last file read, with the correct path name. This happens irrespective of what file I assign or if I change the folder. There are no spaces or "." with the path name that I can see.

The only way I have managed to get around it is by displacing all my input data along the Y-coordinate. I had noticed that sometimes the YYLC and YYRC field in the "Start Model Simulation" window would be greyed out (just showing Xs instead of the values). I tried manually inputing, as well as editting the runfile, but that didn't help. The number of significant figures is for ex: 6223717.50

So, I am assuming my model doesn't run because of this. Is there a limit to the number of characters in the coordinate field? If so, what is a practical way around it?

Regards,
Rui
RE: Is there a limit to number of characters in coordinate field?
Answer (Unmark)
5/16/17 10:42 AMas a reply to Rui Hugman.
I've had similar problems with my first simulations. Maybe your problem is related as discussed in the following thread:

Thread related to simulation errors - tutorial 6]

Thread related to simulation errors

I hope you can find a solution in one of these threads.

Kind regards
Sander van der Plas
Answer (Unmark)
5/23/17 2:49 PMas a reply to Sander van der Plas.
Thanks Sanders,

Unfortunately I had already tried those solutions. No luck! I am able to run the model...if I transpose the grid to a new origin (i.e. effectively reducing the number of digits).

Regards,
Rui
Answer (Unmark)
5/29/17 2:15 PMas a reply to Rui Hugman.
Hi Rui,

Can you post your latest (updated) runfile, so I and other users can have a closer look.

Kind regards,
Sander
Answer (Unmark)
5/30/17 11:38 AMas a reply to Sander van der Plas.
Hi Rui,

iMOD uses a single precision for coordinates. That means that you can specify a maximum of 7 digits for the coordinates. It is possible to use larger numbers, though you'll loose the digits at the back, so if you use a coordinate of 7 numbers, there is no precision left for a digit number. In many cases that is not an issue as you do not want these digits, but simulating a model with small cellsize (less than 1 meter) cannot be simulated in that case.

Most convenient is to convert your dataset into an UTM-coordinate system that leaves you with at least a single digit - or more preferable two digits.

Kind regards,

Peter Vermeulen