iMOD Forum

To report a problem/bug or request a new feature,
please go to its subcategory in 'iMOD-GUI' or 'iMODFLOW' below

First-time users: please have a look here for info on the iMOD forum-principles.

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
TUT 6 Package
Answer (Unmark)
6/22/16 5:11 PM
Hi:

I have some questions about Drainage package and Overland flow package when I'm doing the Tutorial 6.

For the Drainage package, in the manual Page 589 (chapter 12.20), it says "Drainage simulated in cells with surface water becomes inactive when the drainage elevation is below
the water level in the same cell as defined in the RIV package. Herefor it is necessary to set the parameter ICONCHK=1 in the runfile." But in the runfile "TUT6_MODEL.RUN" given within tutorial filefolder, that value is 0 (the 7th number in the second line). just out of curiosity, I made another runfile and changed ICONCHK into 1. I compared the heads of first layer between two simulation results, they are slightly different. I don't know if it is necessary to change the ICONCHK value?

And in the manual Page 590 (chapter 12.25), it is said "The flow rate of the OLF package is calculated assuming a fixed resistance against outflow of 1 day. This can be altered by the parameter PVARIABLE in the runfile." But I couldn't find this "PVARIABLE" in runfile. and it is only mentioned here in the whole manual. Could you please tell where exactly it is in the runfile?

Thank you for your help!

Kindly regards,
Hongyang
RE: TUT 6 Package
Answer (Unmark)
6/23/16 11:39 AMas a reply to Hongyang wang.
Hi Hongyang,

The ICONCHK option can be needed to avoid any drainage of a DRN of OLF package whenever te area is inundated and modelled by a RIV package. So, instead of correcting the DRN/OLF for each timestep, the ICONCHK flag can do it during the simulation without the need to adapt your input files.

Your other question about the PVARIABLE, that is not supported anymore, so the fixed resistance is 1 day. If you ant another resistance, you could specify your overland flow input in the DRN package with the appropriate resistance specified by a conductance term.

Hopefully this will help you.

Greetings,

Peter Vermeulen
Answer (Unmark)
6/23/16 2:56 PMas a reply to Peter Vermeulen.
Hi Peter:

Thank you for your reply.

I have another question related to Computing waterbalance in TUT 6. You mentioned in another thread that iMOD 3.3 doesn't recognize the "sys". We need to decide which system we want to compute. But I don't really understand what exactly each system represents, and why only RIV and DRN results have two system for each layer.

And I don't know if i use imod batch to compute water balance, can it support "sys"?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Hongyang
Answer (Unmark)
6/23/16 3:03 PMas a reply to Hongyang wang.
Hi Hongyang,

This issue has been solved in the coming release, we expect the update next week. Sorry for any inconvenience right now. The "system" is the number in which you add the files in the runfile, so in the following example we have two river systems:

2,(riv)
1,100.0, 0.0,"C:\MVP\CHAUTAUQUA\Modules\WCAB\DBASE\RIVERS\VERSION_2\RIV_COND.IDF"
1,100.0, 0.0,"C:\MVP\CHAUTAUQUA\Modules\WCAB\DBASE\DRAINAGE\VERSION_1\DRN_COND.IDF"
1, 1.0, 0.0,"C:\MVP\CHAUTAUQUA\Modules\WCAB\DBASE\RIVERS\VERSION_2\RIV_OLF_STAGE.IDF"
1, 1.0, 0.0,"C:\MVP\CHAUTAUQUA\Modules\WCAB\DBASE\DRAINAGE\VERSION_1\DRN_OLF_STAGE.IDF"
1, 1.0,-2.5,"C:\MVP\CHAUTAUQUA\Modules\WCAB\DBASE\RIVERS\VERSION_2\RIV_OLF_STAGE.IDF"
1, 1.0,-1.0,"C:\MVP\CHAUTAUQUA\Modules\WCAB\DBASE\DRAINAGE\VERSION_1\DRN_OLF_STAGE.IDF"
1, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0
1, 1.0, 0.0, 0.001

the first river system contains the files RIV_COND, OLF_STAGE, OLF_STAGE and a constant value 1.0 for the conductance, stage, riverbottom and infiltration respectively. The second river system contains the files DRN_COND, DRN_OLF_STAGE, DRN_OLF_STAGE and a constant value of 0.001 for the same sequence of files.

Kind regards,

Peter Vermeulen
Answer (Unmark)
6/23/16 3:23 PMas a reply to Peter Vermeulen.
Hi Peter:

I think from what I understand about the example you given, there are two sets of files for each parameters in the same layer, that's why the results have two systems for the same layer. But the runfile for TUT 6 is different, I copied the part of RIV:

2,(RIV)
1,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_COND_L1.IDF
2,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_COND_L2.IDF
1,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_STAGE_L1.IDF
2,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_STAGE_L2.IDF
1,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_BOT_L1.IDF
2,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_BOT_L2.IDF
1,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_INF_L1.IDF
2,1.0,0.0,$DBASE$\TUTORIALS\TUT6_MODEL_SIMULATION\RIV\RIV_INF_L2.IDF

For each layer, there is only one file representing each parameter. I still don't understand why there would be two systems...I would show you a picture of the result file...
Attachment

Attachments: 2771.tmp.png (14.5k)
Answer (Unmark)
6/23/16 3:58 PMas a reply to Hongyang wang.
Hi,

In fact you can specify the number of modellayers to be saved in the header of the runfile. Although system 2 is not assigned (in this example) to a model layer 2, it will be saved for that layer, unfortunately.

ACTIVE MODULES
1 8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 !(BND) BOUNDARY
1 8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 !(SHD) GROUNDWATERHEAD
1 8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 !(KDW) FLUX FRONT/RIGHT FACE
1 7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 !(VCW) FLUX LOWER FACE
1 8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 !(WEL) WELLS
1 1,1 !(DRN) DRAINAGE
1 2,1,2 !(RIV) RIVERS
1 1,1 !(RCH) RECHARGE
1 1,1 !(OLF) OVERLAND FLOW

Greetings,

Peter Vermeulen
Answer (Unmark)
6/23/16 5:22 PMas a reply to Peter Vermeulen.
Hi Peter:

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Hongyang