iMOD Forum

To report a problem/bug or request a new feature,
please go to its subcategory in 'iMOD-GUI' or 'iMODFLOW' below

First-time users: please have a look here for info on the iMOD forum-principles.

« Back to User Questions

Transient Simulation

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Transient Simulation
Answer (Unmark)
7/14/16 10:43 PM
Hello!

I try to perform transient simulation for my own model but it is impossible. I've checked all paths, dots, commas, quotation marks etc. In my opinion problem is combined with an .ipf file because when I run simulation using steady-state cirumastances it works correctly. The second reason I'm thinking about is coupled with different approach to selection of coeficients which may be distinct for transient and steady-state simulation. Do you think it may plays a crucial role in this problem? I created an .ipf file for transient simulation followed by the instructions from Peter Vermeulen thus everything shuld be all right but it is not.
Mayby I make mistakes when I define simulation configuration... I have no idea.

I attach my run file with .ipf file for transient simulation and .ipf file for steady-state simulation.
I would be grateful for your help.

Kind regards,
Artur
Attachments: ST1.txt (0.1k), WELL_1.IPF (0.1k), bogdanka1.run (2.4k), studnia1.ipf (0.0k)
RE: Transient Simulation
Answer (Unmark)
8/8/16 4:09 PMas a reply to Artur Guzy.
Hi Artur:

I have the same problem as you. Have you already found a solution?
looking at your run file I have noticed that you donĀ“t have defined the storage coefficient in your active modules. Maybe thats the problem.

kind regards.

Alfonso
Answer (Unmark)
8/8/16 10:43 PMas a reply to Alfonso Flaquer.
Hi Alfonso!

Unfortunately, I still haven't found any solution.
You're right, I haven't defined the storage coefficient in my runfile (the reason is I don't have any information which could describe it). I've tried to define random .idf file containing information about this factor and push model further but it doesn't work properly...
What I realised is that the IMOD user manual doesn't provide us with detailed instructions on how to perform transient simulation as well as when converting data from IMOD to MODFLOW - following message appears: "Package WELLS activated in header, but no data files found!". It seems to me that in spite of define information about wells, MODFLOW doesn't take them into account.

How are your efforts?

Kind regards,

Artur
Answer (Unmark)
8/10/16 7:43 PMas a reply to Artur Guzy.
Hi Artur,

I could finally run a simple model in transient simulation (one layer, one well, square domain with Constant Head Boundary conditions at the perimeter).
Like you say, there's no detailed instructions on how to perform transient simulation in the manual.

Based on the error mesage you are recieving, the problem is, as you say, in the well files. To confirm this, you may look at the run file IMODFLOW.RUN saved in the result folder. It should have a line like this:

1,(WEL) Wells [WEL]
0003, 1.000000 , 0.000000 ,'C:\Users\Artur\Desktop\NAUKA\Bogdanka\Dane_GUZY\studnia1.ipf'

On the other hand, where did you store the "ST1.txt" file? In my case, I put it in the same folder than the well ipf.

Other thing I ve noticed in your run file is that you are defining only one stress period of length 1827 days.

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards.

Alfonso.
Answer (Unmark)
8/18/16 11:07 AMas a reply to Alfonso Flaquer.
Hi Artur,

I've looked at your files. I'm not sure what the current status is of your problem so maybe you could update me with your current status? One think I saw in your runfile is that you did not specify a storage coefficient for the transient simulation, you need to specify that package for transient simulations? Maybe you could send me the *.lst file if you still face some problems?

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen