iMOD Forum

To report a problem/bug or request a new feature,
please go to its subcategory in 'iMOD-GUI' or 'iMODFLOW' below

First-time users: please have a look here for info on the iMOD forum-principles.

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
split layer
Answer (Unmark)
7/27/16 4:16 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if there is a possibility to split a layer?
I created three layers with the solid tool. Now I would like to change my second layer. It is a clay layer that pinches out. I would like to have three layers instead of one. So with the solid tool I get those int_l1 - int_l4 idf files. My first thought was to split it in the project manager. So I used int_l1 as first and int_l2 as second layer. For the third layer I chose int_l2 as well but substracted a constant value (-5) and for the fourth layer I substracted -10. The fifth and sixth layer where then int_l3 and int_l4. Unfortunately I get an error that just says "an error occured in starting you simulation". So I guess that iMod does not like the way how I wanted to split my layer. Maybe it is also due to the fact that it is pinching out which is why the substraction might not work out well.
That's why I would like to ask if anyone here might have an idea or knows how to split a layer?
Best regards,
Nadine
RE: split layer
Answer (Unmark)
8/22/16 10:36 AMas a reply to Nadine Vogel.
Hi Nadine,

Splitting a layer is possible but you have to do some math. Best is to compute new interfaces and not subtract a fixed number from a layer as layers can intersect that way. Suppose you want to split a layer, compute the thickness of that layer and divide is by 0.5 and then generate a new interface by subtracting the half-thickness form it. You can do that using IDFCALC or three different iMODBatch IDFCALC functions so that you can repeat it easily for other layers:

FUNCTION=IDFCALC
FUNC=C=A-B
NREPEAT=1
ABC1=TOP1.IDF BOT1.IDF THICKNESS1.IDF

FUNCTION=IDFCALC
FUNC=C=0.5*A
NREPEAT=1
AC1=THICKNESS1.IDF HALFTHICKNESS1.IDF

FUNCTION=IDFCALC
FUNC=C=A-B
NREPEAT=1
ABC1=TOP1.IDF HALFTHICKNESS1.IDF BOT1A.IDF

You could apply loop parameters to split more layers. Be aware that you need to adjust the RUNFILE accordingly, but you could use the same IDF with permeability for more layers.

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen
RE: split layer
Answer (Unmark)
8/23/16 1:06 PMas a reply to Peter Vermeulen.
Hi Peter,
thank you for answering.
I will try that soon.
Kind regards,
Nadine