Back

Problem with Importing model results

TL
Trevor Lumsden, modified 11 Months ago.

Problem with Importing model results

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 2/14/17 Recent Posts
Good Day,

When performing a General Adapter run I find that the results of my hydrological model run (i.e. streamflow time series) are not imported correctly into the FEWS database when the time series type is classified as "simulated forecasting". When looking in the Database Viewer there is no start and end date shown and in the Data Display (for data display/plots) there are no data and the location icons and parameters have red crosses showing. I have checked that the timeSeriesSet's in the General Adapter module and the filters used to display the data are consistent. I have also checked that the model has produced valid results, as reflected in the XML file imported by FEWS.

Notably, if I classify the streamflow time series as "external forecasting" I find that the data are imported into the FEWS database and I am able to view the data without a problem. However, I'm not sure what the implications of leaving the data as "external forecasting" will be - I'm guessing that this will cause other problems somewhere down the line.

Can anyone shed light on why my model output is not imported when it's classified as "simulated forecasting"? I have checked the debug log file and can't see anything wrong. I have pasted the timeSeriesSet's defined in the General Adapter module and Filters.xml file below.

Thanks,
Trevor

General Adapter module:

<timeSeriesSet>
<moduleInstanceId>RunFC</moduleInstanceId>
<valueType>scalar</valueType>
<parameterId>Streamflow_Simulated</parameterId>
<locationSetId>Catchments</locationSetId>
<timeSeriesType>simulated forecasting</timeSeriesType>
<timeStep unit="nonequidistant"/>
<readWriteMode>add originals</readWriteMode>
</timeSeriesSet>

Filters.xml

<timeSeriesSet>
<moduleInstanceId>RunFC</moduleInstanceId>
<valueType>scalar</valueType>
<parameterId>Streamflow_Simulated</parameterId>
<locationSetId>Catchments</locationSetId>
<timeSeriesType>simulated forecasting</timeSeriesType>
<timeStep unit="nonequidistant"/>
<relativeViewPeriod unit="day" start="0" end="7"/>
<readWriteMode>read only</readWriteMode>
</timeSeriesSet>
Arnejan van Loenen, modified 11 Months ago.

RE: Problem with Importing model results

Padawan Posts: 70 Join Date: 5/29/12 Recent Posts
Hi Trevor,

I'm happy to say I know quite sure what the problem is. But I'm afraid the answer might be frustrating, due to its simplicity.

Actually I suspect we are dealing here with one of the aspects that make Delft-FEWS such an advanced system: The approval of forecasts! If a forecast is not approved, it will not be visible in the displays (unless opened by the user in the Forecast management display). Forecasts imported as external forecasts will always be visible (unless forecast starttime after T0), since these are assumed to be published by other agencies.

When starting the forecast workflow, you can check the checkbox "approve" to make sure it is approved (if succesfull). In the workflowdescriptors you can set the default value for this checkbox.

Have a look at this page about forecast timeseries;
https://publicwiki.deltares.nl/display/FEWSDOC/02+Data+Handling+in+DELFT-FEWS

and this one about managing the forecasts:
https://publicwiki.deltares.nl/display/FEWSDOC/07+Forecast+Manager

hope this is the solution!
regards,
Arnejan
TL
Trevor Lumsden, modified 11 Months ago.

RE: Problem with Importing model results

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 2/14/17 Recent Posts
Hi Arnejan

Thanks for clarifying the importance of approving forecasts - this did allow my forecasts to become visible in the displays.

I am relieved the solution was so simple!

Regards
Trevor