intro story Coast / Estuary

Coast / Estuary

Coastal systems are among the most dynamic physical systems on earth and are subject to a large variety of forces. The morphodynamic changes occurring to coastlines worldwide are of great interest and importance. These changes occur as a result of the erosion of sediments, its subsequent transport as bed load or suspended load, and eventual deposition. 
 
Estuaries are partly enclosed water bodies that have an open connection to the coast. Estuaries generally have one or more branching channels, intertidal mudflats and/or salt marshes. Intertidal areas are of high ecological importance and trap sediments (sands, silts, clays and organic matter).
Within the Delft3D modelling package a large variation of coastal and estuarine physical and chemical processes can be simulated. These include waves, tidal propagation, wind- or wave-induced water level setup, flow induced by salinity or temperature gradients, sand and mud transport, water quality and changing bathymetry (morphology). Delft3D can also be used operationally e.g. storm, surge and algal bloom forecasting. 
 
On this discussion page you can post questions, research discussions or just share your experience about modelling coastal and/or estuarine systems with Delft3D FM. 
 

** PLEASE TAG YOUR POST! **

 

 

Sub groups
D-Flow Flexible Mesh
DELWAQ
Cohesive sediments & muddy systems

 

 

Message Boards

Problems with DELWAQ-Output

SZ
Stephanie Zeunert, modified 5 Years ago.

Problems with DELWAQ-Output

Youngling Posts: 14 Join Date: 6/2/14 Recent Posts
Hi everyone,

At the moment I’ve got a problem with the visualization of my results from the water quality model.
I calculated the hydrodynamics on a Linux cluster computer which used 2 nodes consisting of 8 CPUs each. For each partition (16 altogether) I got separate output files. With the program “ddcouple.exe” I obtained the WAQ coupling files. I used these to run my water quality model. But unfortunately now my map-file results look like the attached picture. Did I do anything wrong in the process of the model setup? Is there a way not to have these gaps in your output file?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Stephanie
MJ
Michel Jeuken, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Problems with DELWAQ-Output (Answer)

Jedi Knight Posts: 154 Join Date: 1/21/13 Recent Posts
Hi Stephanie,

When you run flow in parallel with automated domain decomposition, the domains contain ghostcells. You need to run ddcouple with the -parallel switch to remove these:

ddcouple <name>.ddb -parallel

It will be echoed in the log file of ddcouple, and you should obtain the original grid again (as if you didn't run in parallel). You can check this by doing a (short) non parallel run on the same grid, and compare the lga and cco-file with the result from ddcouple.

Newer versions of ddcouple interactively ask if it was a parallel flow run when you do not give any arguments, and enter the name of a ddb-file. Attached is ddcouple version 1.02.00.39551 of Apr 3 2015.

best regards,
Michel
SZ
Stephanie Zeunert, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Problems with DELWAQ-Output

Youngling Posts: 14 Join Date: 6/2/14 Recent Posts
Hi Michel,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try out the new version of ddcouple.

Best regards
Stephanie