Message Boards

Back

Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

JL
Joon Lee, modified 5 Years ago.

Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/6/12 Recent Posts
Dear Mr. Markus,

I have tested the new DELWAQ GUI.
It resolved the above problem, but it had a new problem.
The Waq (1) step stopped, and the .lst file showed many errors for setting "Thatcher-Harleman timelags" in Block 4.

For example in the .lst file,
------------------------------------------------------------------
Time lag option: 2
Constant time lags with defaults
Default value : 0Y- 0D- 0H- 0M- 0S
Number of overridings : 240
Number values

ERROR, invalid time lag: 590
ERROR, invalid time lag: 630
ERROR, invalid time lag: 670
ERROR, invalid time lag: 710
ERROR, invalid time lag: 750
ERROR, invalid time lag: 790
...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you check again the files in attachment?

Thank you!

Joon Lee

Kyungpook National University, South Korea
boundary condition telemac

Attachments:

JL
Joon Lee, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/6/12 Recent Posts
Dear Mr. Markus,

I guess, the new DWAQ-GUI that you gave me has written false boundary numbers for the TH boundary.
Although the numbers should be limited within "Number of overridings : 240", they were often over 240, displaying an error sign, "ERROR, invalid time lag: 590".
I wish that it could not be a serious problem and it could be solved soon.

Thank you!

Joon Lee
Michel Jeuken, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Jedi Knight Posts: 156 Join Date: 1/21/13 Recent Posts
Dear Joon Lee,

We are sorry a new problem has arisen. Unfortunately mr Markus isn't able to look into it directly. I can provide you with a work-around. You can edit the inp-file, and look for the section where the Thatcher-Harleman timelags are defined.

; Thatcher-Harleman timelags
;
   2 ; use defaults
   000000000000000
   240    ; Number of overridings
        590     00000000000000   ; Section 1 - 1
        630     00000000000000   ; Section 1 - 1
etc...
        719     00000000000000   ; Section 3 - 1
        759     00000000000000   ; Section 3 - 1
ITEM


Now change the number of overides to 0, and remove the overrides until ITEM:

  0    ; Number of overridings
ITEM


Now you should be able to run the model. Unfortunately these changes will be overwritten by the GUI next time you save from it. Mr Markus will try to fix this soon.

Michel
AM
Arjen Markus, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Jedi Knight Posts: 235 Join Date: 1/26/11 Recent Posts
Yes, what Michel is telling you is indeed a useable workaround. I suspect the GUI is writing the wrong numbers (the index of the cell the boundary is connected to, rather than the boundary index itself), but I will try to sort this out within a few days.

Regards,

Arjen
JL
Joon Lee, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/6/12 Recent Posts
Dear Michel and Arjen,

Thank you so much for your answers!
After setting "Number of overriddings" as 0, it seems working.
(Actually, I may not need to set the TH boundary at this moment, because I am working on a river water quality issue.)

Thank you a lot!

Joon
JL
Joon Lee, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/6/12 Recent Posts
Dear Michel and Arjen,

Could you also check the nodal number of open boundaries? (for the new DWAQ-GUI)

When I applied a constant tracer concentration in the inlet (the left boundary), the concentration profile on the boundary looks saw-toothed (e.g. 100 -> 0 -> 100 ... along the boundary).
(The concentration profile on the boundary should be constant along the open boundary, in principle.)
So... the nodal number of the left and right boundaries seem mixed to each other.

Could you please check this issue as well?

Thank you!

Joon
AM
Arjen Markus, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs (Answer)

Jedi Knight Posts: 235 Join Date: 1/26/11 Recent Posts
The problem should be solved in the version I have attached to this message.

The cause was a change I had to make to properly support UNTRIM hydrodynamic models. The abstraction I try to maintain (that is, once the information about the hydrodynamic model schematisation has been read, there should be no awkward difference for the user and ideally also not for the programmer - me) was actually violated. I do need to treat the information about the open boundaries separately for Delft3D-FLOW, TELEMAC, Delft3D-FM and UNTRIM. On the outside it makes very little difference, on the inside there is a tiny bit more difference (but that tiny bit is essential, as you have noticed).

Please try this new version and if there is anything the matter, let me know. I have tested it on a small set of models, each with a different underlying type of hydrodynamic model, but I may have missed something.
JL
Joon Lee, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/6/12 Recent Posts
Dear Arijen,

(I am just back from holidays and read your comments.)

Thank you a lot for the new DELWAQ-GUI.
I will check it ASAP, and I will let you know if something is wrong.

Thank you again!

Joon
JL
Joon Lee, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Couple DELWAQ and TELEMAC - Problem in TH BCs

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 11/6/12 Recent Posts
It is working well with my test case.
No problem with TH Boundary condition.

Thank you a lot!

Joon