sedimentation modelling - General - Delft3D Flexible Mesh
At this page you can post questions or start discussions on general topics related to Delft3D Flexible Mesh.
Please select a proper category below (if possible), to post your message or reply to an existing post. Please add tags to your posts to simplify searching.
** PLEASE TAG YOUR POST! **
It's first time I am modelling sedimentation in a harbour/marina using Delft3D (very new in this area). I am using Flexible Mesh Suite 2017. Hydrodynamic model is completed.
I appreciate if someone could show me sedimentation modelling steps (or how to start sedimentation modelling). Is it using D-Flow FM or WAQ? I can't see sedimentation option among physical process options in D-Flow (see the attachment).
Please note that Beta functionality for Sediment and Morphology in the user interface was initially released after version 1.2.2.
Please note that when working with Morphology or Sediment I would recommend to use at least version 1.4.5 which was released. If you are a part of our Beta Programme then I believe you received an e-mail from my colleague Edward Melger.
Sediment/Morphology is implemented in the D-Flow FM so that is the plug-in you should use.
I have downloaded the latest version (1.4.6). I have a working hydrodynamic model and I have added one sediment class to it with an inflow concentration upstream. The model only allows me to specify a spatially varying initial sediment concentration instead of a constant initial condition, so I created that xyz file in Delta Shell. I also re-created the bathymetry with the bed level type as 1 (cell centres).
The model was then 'validated' in the GUI. The model fails to initialize when I try to run in the GUI, and I get stack overflow errors when I try to run it with the CLI batch command. The log file does not offer details, but here is a screenshot of my CMD window.
How do I troubleshoot this? Are there any extra constraints on the grid or model parameters when I use sediment/morphology?
I have troubleshooted this further. I used examples c44 and c49 in the validation document (under f22_morphology_2D) as a guide. I have re-defined my flow boundary using the .pli and .tim files, and it runs successfully with just hydrodynamics. My grid is a river with an adjacent floodplain.
When I add the .pli file for the sediment boundary, it crashes with a stack overflow error. All I am doing is adding a new .pli file, adjacent to the .pli file for the flow boundary, and specifying a *_0001.cmp file with zero amplitude as seen in example c44. I use the .sed and .mor files from example c44 (but taking out the second sediment class). I even copied the mdu file and made some tweaks for my time frame, my grid (for which I used the old DFM format) and bathymetry (for which I used an .xyz file).
I have attached the diagnostic file with a bunch of debug outputs. Any insight into what is going wrong would be great. It seems to crash right before the sediment parameters are supposed to be read in. I concluded this after comparing the diagnostic files of example c44 and this run.
I tested with a smaller grid (just the river) and there is no stack overflow error. I will continue to troubleshoot to see what part of the floodplain grid is causing this problem.