image - About HABITAT - Habitat
Habitat analyses are important for studying the ecological functioning of water- and land systems. Knowledge about species and interactions between species is vital in this process. In a world with increasing environmental pressures, it is important to quantify these impacts. Knowledge about the effectiveness of measures can be used to develop policy on spatial planning and water- and ecosystem management in order to realize ecological goals.
Examples of (inter)national HABITAT studies are:
- Analysis on the effects of climate change in European freshwater systems
- Determination of the effects of water level fluctuations on the habitat suitability of macrophytes, zebra mussels,birds and vegetation composition in the area of Lake IJssel, the Netherlands
- Development of a water management strategy to reduce CO2 emission from large peat areas
- Determination of the effects of cooling-water on the habitat suitability of corals in Az Zour, Kuwait
- Examination of the consequences of cyclic rejuvenation of floodplains for the habitat suitability of species
- Determination of the effects of natural and anthropogenic pressure on key-species and WFD habitats in the Ems- Dollard estuary, the Netherlands
- Development of a water management strategy to reduce flooding risks and stimulate nature development in the Sava river, Croatia
Deltares is a leading, independent, Dutch-based research institute for matters relating to water, soil and the subsurface. We apply our advanced expertise to help people live safely and sustainably in delta areas, coastal zones and river basins. We conduct research and provide specialist advisory services for government authorities and the corporate sector in The Netherlands and worldwide. We constantly extend our knowledge base via government research programmes and contract research, forming consortia with universities and other research institutes, encouraging innovation, and accelerating the practical implementation of new theoretical advances. We aim towards the sustainable enhancement of the living environment, with technological solutions that have the support of society as a whole, putting into practice our strategic principle: ‘Enabling Delta Life'.
More information about Deltares can be found here.