Migration status

Although the new site is live, work is still in progress to improve it.

Known issues:

1. Forums: The organization of (sub-)categories and threads is disrupted. Please use the search box inside the "Message boards" to navigate.

Message Boards

Modell Simulation and Interactive Pathline Simulation

FG
Franziska Gebhard, modified 2 Years ago.

Modell Simulation and Interactive Pathline Simulation

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 4/20/17 Recent Posts

I wil create a particel tracking simulation that I can see how influence the pumping wells the flow of the injection wells. 

The wells are connected in chronological succession. 

PW 1 work 70 houres at the same time works the IW 11 - 20 (always one after the other) each 7 houres

after the 70 houres start the PW 2 and IW 1 - 10 

I installed the river as a drainage. The Aquifer is unconfined. 

The *.jpg (in the Attachments) show a overview of the interesting area. 

Now my questions

Can I show the influence of the wells in the Partickel tracking/interactive pathline simulation? 

Or is there another way to show the influence of the wells?

best regards Franzi

Frans Roelofsen, modified 2 Years ago.

RE: Modell Simulation and Interactive Pathline Simulation

Padawan Posts: 99 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts

Dear Franzi,

You show a nice geohydrologiacal testcase in your post.
I can imagine cases where it is important to see the flowdirections in an infiltration/abstraction situation you describe.

Your questions is whether it is possible to show the influence in the Interactive Pathline Simulation (IPS tool).
In IPS it is at the moment only possible to simulate for a single flow situation while your issue is about a situation of 2x10 (and more) stressperiods.

Another way of showing the influence of the wells is to do a Particle Tracking with the Function iMODPATH (manual chapter 8.6.6).
In iMODPATH, transient pathline simulation is possible both in the iMOD Graphical User Interface (GUI) as in iMOD scripting.
I recommend you to use iMOD scripting while you can experiment easily with iMODPATH (without clicking too much in the GUI).
(no experience in iMOD scripting, please read the general introduction in chapter 8.1)

Overall steps:
Create and run a transient MODFLOW  file first to generate the necessary flowfield files (BDGF*F).
Create the INI file for the function iMODPATH as described in the manual (chapter 8.6.6).
In the INI file you define the transient fluxfields (keyword NPER) for a certain timewindow e.g. 2x70 hours depending on your stressperiods (keywords SWINDOW and EWINDOW).
Define your file with startingpoints from one or more locations for a specific moment in time (keyword ISDFILE).
Also set the date/time of the moment when the particle tracking should start (keyword STARTDATE)

For each combination of 1) startmoment and 2) startlocation your need, create a new INI file and run iMODPATH.
The INI file is for every run identical (fluxfields, tracking direction etc), only keywords ISDFILE and STARTDATE differ.

To rewrite such an INI file many times, only vary ISDFILE and STARTDATE and run it, you can use scripting to do so.
Are you familiar with scripting? Suggestions for scripting in DOS are given from chapter 8.1.3. onwards.

Hope this answer helps you to the next step.

Kind regards,
Frans

FG
Franziska Gebhard, modified 2 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 4/20/17 Recent Posts

Thank you for the fast answer. :-)

In the basic data was a little mistake. The s tarting conditions were changed from 20 injection wells to 30 injection wells. And I have more questions.

- Do you mean ("Create and run a transient MODFLOW  file first to generate the necessary flowfield files (BDGF*F)") that I should make a Modflow 2005 file simulation? Or a normal iMod run file?

- And I don't understand the Keyword ISTO in the INI-file and the connection with the Storage coefficient. What do I have to enter for a value? Or can I leave that off?

- When I need for each combination of startmoments and startlocations a new INI file than I need 32 INI-files? Is it right? (2 pumping wells & 30 Injection wells)

best regards Franzi

Hi Franzi, 

1. Indeed, before running Modpath you need to run Modflow as is suggested in iMOD manual chapter 8.6.6 about the iMODPATH-function: "The function IMODPATH computes flowlines based on the budget terms that result from the iMODFLOW computation."  

That means you need to create and run a Modflow file as explained in the iMOD manual chapter 8.6.5 RUNFILE-Function.

2. I will check with my colleague under what conditions the Keyword ISTO is needed. 

3. In your chronological succession you start 20 infiltration wells with a time interval of 7 hours. To start your analysis of the system, I would run MODPATH for each moment/stressperiod a new infiltration well starts pumping. Than you see where the water off that particular infiltration well ends up.   

Kind regards,

Frans    

... I checked under what conditions the Keyword ISTO is needed (point 2).

In almost all situations leave out ISTO (on default  ISTO = 0).

If ISTO <> 0, there is the possibility that a particle is trapped in the storage as if it was a normal sink (river, well  etc). 

Regards, Frans