Migration status

Although the new site is live, work is still in progress to improve it.

Known issues:

1. Forums: The organization of (sub-)categories and threads is disrupted. Please use the search box inside the "Message boards" to navigate.

Message Boards

RE: Transient model simulation error

CV
Christian vd Laarschot, modified 5 Months ago.

Transient model simulation error

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/18/19 Recent Posts

Hi,

For my Master thesis research I am working on a small groundwater model for an infiltration trench (WADI). The model consist out of about 1200 columns and 300 rows with an grid size of 1 meter. When simulating a steady state event with recharge, the model functions as it should. Now I want to simulate an precipitation event in which the precipitation is included in the recharge package and the groundwater head for every ten minutes as output. When I simulate the model with the following .prj and .run files an unknown error in the simulation occurs. How do I fix this?

With kind regards,

Christian

Frans Roelofsen, modified 4 Months ago.

Padawan Posts: 84 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts

Hi Christian, 

Thank you for your question.

I managed to reproduce your error by building the 2 IDF's of my own. Is it correct that during a run the echo replies "No storage loades ..."? .  That gives an idication.
If you upgrade from a steady state run to a transient run you also need to add the module Storage.

So in the projectfile/projectmanager add the storage for your 3 layers. Now the model should run.

Kind regards,

Frans

CV
Christian vd Laarschot, modified 4 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/18/19 Recent Posts

Hi Frans,

Thank you for the clear reply. I managed to add te storage for the three layers in the projectfile/projectmanager and run the simulation. Before this change, where is it possible to see possible errors such as "No storage loades ..."? In the logfile is no information and the notepad screen during the run dissapears immediately. 

Kind regards,

Christian

Frans Roelofsen, modified 4 Months ago.

Padawan Posts: 84 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts

Hi Christian,

If you run your model outside iMOD, on the so called Command Promt, you are able to read the echo even if the calculation process is finished.

You are familiar with running in DOS, on the Command Promt? There are 2 ways to do it. 

1. Simple: in the folder of your modelresults, iMOD creates the file RUN.BAT in case you run a model via the toolbox "start model simulation". This BAT file contains a script to re-run your model (study the file content). Handy in case you make small changes to your model and want to re-run it outside iMOD.

Open the file in a text editor and add the word 'pause'. Dubble click the file and see the model run and pause just before the window closes. The echo is still there.

2. More Complicated: Click on Start and type CMD. A DOS window will open. Navigate to your RUN file location. Type the name of the iMODFLOW executable and the name of the Run file, e.g. c:\imod\version4.3\iMODFLOW_V4_3_METASWAP_SVN1233_X64R.exe WADI_KLIFRAK_TRANSIENT.RUN and click ENTER. The echo remains visible. 

Good luck,

Frans