Migration status

Although the new site is live, work is still in progress to improve it.

Known issues:

1. Forums: The organization of (sub-)categories and threads is disrupted. Please use the search box inside the "Message boards" to navigate.

Message Boards

Tutorial 4 error iMod 3.3

TH
tijmen heetebrij, modified 4 Years ago.

Tutorial 4 error iMod 3.3

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 4/22/16 Recent Posts
Hello everyone,
In tutorial 4 at step 62 I get an error. It says: can not find

My runfile is like this:

Now I tried to put both of the paths in the runfile between " ".

That resolves that error, but than I get the next:

Hopefully someone can help.
PV
Peter Vermeulen, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: Tutorial 4 error iMod 3.3

Jedi Knight Posts: 135 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts
Hi Tijmen,

I know that iMOD is not fully compatible with pathnames with "." signs in it. On a frequent base, iMOD searches for file extents by looking for the position of the "."-sign, since you have this in your path as well it might give you some unwanted trouble. Could you try to remove your user-folder in a map without a "." sign ? To avoid most of the trouble with pathnames, avoid as much as you can pathnames with "." and empty spaces.

Kind regards,
Peter
PV

Hi Tijmen,

A small addition - if you notice some problem in the simulation code, please send me a picture of the DOS-command window in which iMODFLOW is running, it gives us sometimes more information about the cause of the trouble.

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen
TH

Thank you for the reply!
How can I do this? The dos screen always disappears quit fast.
I did change the . in the path for an _, but I still get the same error that it can't find the path.
PV

Hi,

Alternatively you could send me the LST file from the result folder. Moreover, you might run the model from the result-folder in a your-self started command-tool by double-clicking the run.bat in that result-folder.

Kind regards,
Peter
TH

Already found it. Well I also removed all the empty spaces in the path. I will add a picture of the dos command screen where it get stuck.
PV

Hi,

Just wondering whether your problem has been solved yes or no?

Kind regards,
Peter
PV

if not, send me te LST file
TH

No yet, okay, it's in the zip file
PV

Hi Tijmen,

At first glance it seems to be all alright. According to the LST file it reads all files correctly, upto the packages, maybe something is wrong in the IPF-file?

Last think you would like to send us are all the files from the runfile. We can reproduce your exact settings and configuration in that manner.

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen
TH

Hi Peter,
I will send the whole map, including both the idf and ipf file.
PV

Hi,

I've fixed your problem. The problem you're facing with your model is the fact that you have model layer thicknesses of 0.0, this yield in NaN-values in the solution matrix. The iMODFLOW v2.6* does skip those thicknesses of zero nicely as the iMODFLOW v3.3 doesn't do that. To avoid that you could specify a minimal Transmissivity value in the runfile at dataset 4:

Data Set 4 NMULT,IDEBUG,IEXPORT,IPOSWEL,ISCEN,IBDG,MINKD,MINC

If you specify a MINKD=0.01 your problem should be solved.

In the coming release of iMODFLOW v3.4 we have fixed the problem of zero thicknesses correctly, so you don't have to bother about that anymore.

Kind regards,
Peter
TH

Hi!
Where exactly is MINKD specified? I don't see it in the file ISLAND (in the map runfiles) and neither if I run the run.bat file in dos.
But do I have a layer thickness of 0.0? I thought not, since the top of layer 2 is the surface_level.idf with an addition of -1.
Tijmen
NV
Nadine Vogel, modified 4 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 4/26/16 Recent Posts
Hi Tijmen,
maybe I can help you with that. I had the same problem. If you have the manual, the data sets are described from page 424 on.
I did a bit of counting to find the place where the MINKD should be.
As you will see, the first data set ist the output folder, and the second data set has 12 entries.
Data set 3 is optional and might not exist at all. It didn't exist in my runfile.
Data set 4 can have 8 entries. But three of them are optional. In my runfile 6 entries were listed. The 7th would have been the MINKD. So I just had to add a 0.01 at that place.
I have made an example for you based on the runfile, that you posted before.
I hope this will help,
kind regards,
Nadine
HW
Hongyang wang, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 15 Join Date: 4/1/16 Recent Posts
Hi Tijmen:

I don't know if you have solved the problem. I have the same problem, every time I click "Start Model Simulation", it always shows an error says "An error occured in starting your simulation", even after I changed the thickness into 0.01. Now I really don't know what to do ...
Frans Roelofsen, modified 4 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 99 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts
Hi,

Maybe I can help.
Please attach your RUN file than I will have a look.

Kind regards,
Frans
HW

Hi Frans:

Here are the runfiles. the "ISLANDT4.RUN" is generated originally by PRJ file. and "ISLANDT4-Test1.run" is the file i changed the thinkness into 0.01. unfortunately either of them works...

Hi Hongyang,

The RUN files look nice. So we go for the next step.
Please send me the LST file from the directory D:\IMOD\IMOD_USER\MODELS\Model\<modelname>\mf2005_tmp\*.LST
That file contains the Echo of the Modflow running process
And to be complete, send also the 2 IDF files and the IPF file.

Regards,
Frans
HW

Hi Frans:

There is no "mf2005_tmp" filefolder in my filefolder, I;m wondering if I did something wrong in installation. Anyway here are the IDF files and IPF file.

RE: Tutorial 4 error iMod 3.3 (Answer)

These files look OK too.

You think there is probably an installation issue.
Therefor, please send me a ZIP file of the complete directory D:\IMOD\ (should be smaller than 10 Mb)
That's the best way for me to test your installation.

Regards, Frans
HW

Hi Frans:

The whole folder is too big, even after compression. I need to compress them into different folders.

the graph "F3C1.tmp.png" is the documents in the "iMOD" folder.

the zip file "iMOD1.zip" contains documents from "I_accepted_V3_3.txt" to "iMOD_V3_3_X64R.exe" except for the manual.

the zip file "iMOD2.zip" contains documents from "iMODFLOW_V3_3_METASWAP..." to the end.

I didn't compress the "IMOD_USER" folder, "TUTORIAL" folder, and "iMOD_zipped_V3_3.exe". If necessary, I will compress them seperatedly later.

I managed to run you model and I think I found the clue.

Your IDF files have an extension of (xmin, ymin, xmax, ymax) of 99974.27, 96790.44, 103894.3 , 100310.4
Your calculation window in the RUN file is (xmin, ymin, xmax, ymax) of 99974.27, 96790.44, 103894.27, 100310.44

I think due to the rounding of values the IDF and Calculation window are not the same anymore.
The modelwindow 'seems' larger than the IDF file.
This is checked in iMODFLOW and the results in an automatic stop.
We will check in the modelcode if this is the reason.

The best way to continue for you is by changing record 5 in the RUN file to 99974.27, 96790.44, 103894.2, 100310.44, 10.00, 0.00
I was able to run the model this way.

Another suggestion. The models we develop, normally have cellsizes of 25m.
Then we avoid centimeter values and create IDF files with extensions in meters, for instance 99975.00, 96775.00, 103900.00, 100300.00

Kind regards,

Frans
HW

Hi Frans:

Thank you for your reply. Well, it still doesn't work. the same error shows again, even though I make the model model smaller. but if i run the RUN file given by tutorial, that one works...And there is no "mf2005_tmp" folder as well...

Mmmm, strange. The model runs on my computer so we are looking now for a very special situation I conclude.

But we have another option. Please open a Dos command tool on your system (are you familiar with that?) and run the model outside iMOD.
To run the model outside iMOD, type the EXE name and the name of the RUN file in one command. In your case:
iMODFLOW_V3_3_METASWAP_SVN1047_X64R.exe ISLANDT4.RUN

Now your model will run and you will read more echo, ending with an error message I guess.
Please send me a screenshot of this echo.

Regards,
Frans
HW

Hi Frans:

Thank you for your help! I always have some strange problems every time i start to use a new program, i think they are my natural enemies. I don't get along with them...

I started again from create the PRJ file and then RUN file. After that I changed the x y coordinates in the RUN file and run the simulation again. although it still doesn't work, error again, i have "mf2005_tmp" folder this time!

And if I use Dos Command, they cannot find "ISLANDT4.RUN", I don't know why....

I will attach all those files!
HW

Hey Frans:

I started to do everything from the beginning, and this time it works fine. I guess maybe because the first time i did it while checking manuals, so i didn't finish it at once. when i opened it again, the extent might shift somehow. anyway now it works! Thank you sOOOOOOOO much for your help! and sorry to bother you the whole day! Have a nice evening !

Cheers

Hi Hongyang,

Thank you. I am glad you can continue now.
The goal of the iMOD team is that more people will use our free software.
All feedback is welcome and if necessary, we adapt the software.
So if you have a question in the future, please let the Forum know.

In case you or one of your colleagues are interested in more guidance I refer to the recent Webinar on Tutorial 4.
You can find the 45 minutes recordings via the menu Help --> Webinars or via http://oss.deltares.nl/web/imod/webinars

Kind regards,
Frans