Migration status

Although the new site is live, work is still in progress to improve it.

Known issues:

1. Forums: The organization of (sub-)categories and threads is disrupted. Please use the search box inside the "Message boards" to navigate.

Message Boards

Tutorial 7 simulation

NV
Nadine Vogel, modified 4 Years ago.

Tutorial 7 simulation

Padawan Posts: 47 Join Date: 4/26/16 Recent Posts
Hello,
I have a problem with tutorial 7. There is not much to do in the beginning. Except for changing all pathnames in the runfiles, open the extraction rates and filter positions and save these in a dewatering.isf.
Then the results tab in the pumping tool window needs to be opened and by clicking "Add result", the "Compute results" window appears.
There I have to select the "Mean Summer Situation". I had another look in the editor of the runfile by clicking that information button and checked that all pathnames were correct. And also by clicking "Check Runfile Configuration" no mistakes were shown. Then I chose Phreatic heads and drawdown from the simulation results menulist and started the simulation.
Then iMod created the folder "DEWATERING" with a subfolder called "V1_MeanSummersituation" and the runfiles org_DRN, org_OLF, org_RCH, org_RIV, org_WEL and scn_WEL.
After this I get an error that says "iMod cannot open file C:\...\scn_DRN.run" followed by errors which say that iMod cannot open the files: C:\...\scn_RIV.run, C:\...\scn_RCH.run, C:\...\scn_OLF.run and C:\...\scn_DRN.run.
Then it says "an error occured in starting your simulation".
And if I click okay, the next error is: "can not find C:\...\SCENTOOL\DEWATERING\V1_MeanSummersituation\head\head_20110913_l1.idf".
My problem is, that I don't know, why iMod can create all the org_***.run files as well as the scn_WEL.run file but is not able to create the other files.
Maybe you have an idea.
Kind regards,
Nadine
PV
Peter Vermeulen, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: Tutorial 7 simulation

Jedi Knight Posts: 135 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts
Hi Nadine,

I would recommend you to skip this tutorial for now, would that be an option for you, or is there a particular aspect in that tutorial you need ?

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen
NV

Hi Peter,
The pumping tool function is next to the pathline simulation the most important one for me.
I am about to work on a project for my thesis where I need to use different infiltration and extraction wells for a model simulation.
Is there a problem with the tool which is why you recommend to skip it?
Kind regards,
Nadine
PV
Peter Vermeulen, modified 4 Years ago.

Hi,

Well, the pumping tool is especially developed to include pumping at a convenient, but limited manner. It is very easy (and often) quicker to generate you own pumping files. To create an IPF file for pumping is very easy (x,y,q) and whenever it is a transient simulation, you can easily attach a txt file with time-variant extraction volumes to it (date,q). See the iMOD Manual in the IPF file format section. If you want I can assist you to do that, but below there is an example:

IPF Example for a transient simulation:

x
y
id
3,TXT
568900.0,5968219.0,LIC1

and the file called LIC1.TXT with

date,-9999
q,-9999
19800101 0.00
19800201 -100.00
19800301 -23.00

IPF Example for a steady-state simulation:

x
y
q
0,TXT
568900.0,5968219.0,-200.0

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen
NV

Hi Peter,
thanks for these examples. I will have another look at those and at the IPF file format section in the manual tomorrow.
When I started this thread, I thought that if iMod has problems with creating these files for the tutorial that it might also not work if I create own files for the pumping tool.
But I will try to do so tomorrow. Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Nadine
AG
Artur Guzy, modified 4 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 4/24/16 Recent Posts
Peter Vermeulen:
Hi,

Well, the pumping tool is especially developed to include pumping at a convenient, but limited manner. It is very easy (and often) quicker to generate you own pumping files. To create an IPF file for pumping is very easy (x,y,q) and whenever it is a transient simulation, you can easily attach a txt file with time-variant extraction volumes to it (date,q). See the iMOD Manual in the IPF file format section. If you want I can assist you to do that, but below there is an example:

IPF Example for a transient simulation:

x
y
id
3,TXT
568900.0,5968219.0,LIC1

and the file called LIC1.TXT with

date,-9999
q,-9999
19800101 0.00
19800201 -100.00
19800301 -23.00

IPF Example for a steady-state simulation:

x
y
q
0,TXT
568900.0,5968219.0,-200.0

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen

Hello!

Could you give me more information where I should store .txt file coupled with .ipf file? Is it required to keep them together in a specific folder or it plays no role?

Kind regards,
Artur
PV
Peter Vermeulen, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Tutorial 7 simulation (Answer)

Hi Artur,

Good question, thank! The associated files (TXT or other extent) need to be specified relative the the IPF file, so for example whenever the TXT files are in the same folder you specify the filename only:

x
y
id
3,TXT
568900.0,5968219.0,LIC1
564300.0,5943231.0,LIC2

but whenever the TXT file is within a subfolder (could be convenient if many files are considered) you could specify it like:

x
y
id
3,TXT
568900.0,5968219.0,PUMP1\LIC1
564300.0,5943231.0,PUMP2\LIC2

Kind regards,
Peter Vermeulen
IM
ios man, modified 1 Year ago.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 2/25/19 Recent Posts

t is very easy (and often) quicker to generate you own pumping files. To create an IPF file for pumping is very easy (x,y,q) and whenever it is a transient simulation, you can easily attach a txt file with time-variant extraction volumes to it (date,q).  had another look in the editor of the runfile by clicking that information button and checked that all pathnames were correct. And also by clicking "Check Runfile Configuration" no mistakes were shown. Then I chose Phreatic heads and drawdown from the simulation results menulist and started the simulation.