Migration status

Although the new site is live, work is still in progress to improve it.

Known issues:

1. Forums: The organization of (sub-)categories and threads is disrupted. Please use the search box inside the "Message boards" to navigate.
Back

So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution?

RW
Rogier Westerhoff, modified 1 Year ago.

So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution?

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 9/5/16 Recent Posts
Hi,
I was wondering: I use a 200m resolution IDF file for a DTM, but a 1km resolution IDF file for recharge. I base most of my IDFs on my DTM (so also my boundary file). What happens internally during a run then? Does iMOD automatically take the finest resolution file, or does it stick to the boundary file or such?

Cheers,
Rogier
resolution idf
Frans Roelofsen, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution?

Padawan Posts: 59 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts
Hi Rogier,

When running iMODFLOW, Imod will check Data Set 6 in the RUN file to see for what window and what cell size calculations should be done.
(see explanation in link to iMOD User Manual chapter 10.8).
Based on the given cell size, IDF's are scaled to this window and cell size.

Greetings,
Frans
RW
Rogier Westerhoff, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution?

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 9/5/16 Recent Posts
Thanks. I assume you mean data set 6 in chapter 10.9 (iMOD_User_manual_V3_4.pdf).

But that does not answer my question on how iMOD decides on what the resolution is. Does it take the finest dataset?
Frans Roelofsen, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: So what happens internally with idf files of different resolution? (Answer)

Padawan Posts: 59 Join Date: 11/11/13 Recent Posts
Hi Rogier,

From your question I understand that you run an iMODFLOW model with IDF files with different resolutions / cell sizes.
From the RUN file you use, iMODFLOW will read data set 6. e.g. "58000 423000 109000 474000 200 0" to get the resolution.
This data set means a modelrun for the window xmin=58000, ymin= 423000, xmax=109000 and ymax=474000 with a resolution of "cell size = 200".
The RUN file can for instance contain a 1 km resolution Recharge file and a 100 m resolution River file.
Internally, during a run, all files will be downscaled of upscaled to the given 200 m resolution.

Frans