bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: "Serious problem: not enough free unit ids to create new file"

MM
Mathijs Mann, modified 3 Years ago.

"Serious problem: not enough free unit ids to create new file"

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 4/13/16 Recent Posts
Hi everyone,

XBeach is giving the error; "Serious problem: not enough free unit ids to create new file".
The model seems to run fine for a few hours and then gives this error.

I'm running an 1D calculation. It works fine until it reaches ~92% and then it stops. I did it multiple times and the calculation stops both at the same time.

I read some on the internet and it has something to do with its maximum amount of file-IDs. This number is set to 900.
But my calculation is 46 hours. And I give new wave conditions every 30 minutes. So that makes 92 input files. I think that should be fine.

I'm using the version:
VERSION 1.20 Groundhog Day 07/02/2014
This should be fine as well.

See attachments for my input files.

Hopefully someone can help me.
Thanks in advance for you advice!

Kind regards,
Mathijs
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Matthijs,

This is indeed something we had some issues with before. However, I tried to reproduce your error with the (official) Groundhog Day Release and did not manage to... (see XBlog attached). As you can see I sped up the simulation by making every wave condition last for only one second, but the file creation should be the same. I also tried to reproduce this with the (even older) Sinterklaas version, but this simulation also made it to the end, without any errors.

So, the version you use does not seem to be an official release version, is that correct? The Groundhog day version should be 1.21 and your XBlog states 1.20 (which is officially Sinterklaas). My guess is that you are using an old branch version, and that this version somehow contains a bug. Could you indicate where you got this version of XBeach from?

I would recommend you to download one of the official release versions (http://oss.deltares.nl/web/xbeach/source-code-and-exe), and re-run your full simulation. Since XBeach is a very dynamic modeling package (i.e. model improvements and bug fixes occur weekly) I would suggest to use the Kingsday Release version for your work.

Cheers,
Arnold

Attachments:

GK
Gerasimos Kolokythas, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/12/14 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,

I have been using successfully both Easter and Groundhog Day versions for Linux for calculations with numerous wave conditions (>2000 files).

However trying to use the Kingsday version for Linux, for the same simulation I get the error of this thread after 886 executed wave conditions. For a similar setup but with single_dir=1 the simulation stops at 443 wave conditions (half compared to the run with the fully instationary conditions).

The source codes in all cases were downloaded from https://svn.oss.deltares.nl/repos/xbeach/tags/

Any idea?

Cheers,
Gerasimos
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Gerasimos,

Wow, that is a lot of wave conditions! emoticon

I checked the code and there is a limiter to the number files that can be opened by XBeach which was set to 900. I've updated this to 9999 just now, so please compile and use the latest trunk version to see if it works:
https://svn.oss.deltares.nl/repos/xbeach/trunk/

Cheers,
Arnold