bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: Reusing a JONSWAP wave spectrum

BP
Benjamin Phillips, modified 3 Years ago.

Reusing a JONSWAP wave spectrum

Capillary Posts: 6 Join Date: 3/1/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

Just a quick question. I'm running XBeach in non-hydrostatic mode with a JONSWAP spectrum. Is there a way to maintain the same spectrum so that it can be reused on multiple runs, rather than a new, random spectrum being generated each time.

Thanks,
Ben
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Reusing a JONSWAP wave spectrum (Answer)

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Ben,

Yes there are two options for this:

1) use the keyword random = 0, this will generate an identical water level timeseries at the offshore boundary for each run
2) run one simulation, then copy the generated bcf-files to your other simulation directories and run those simulations with the option instat = reuse

Both options will essentially do the same, but probably option 2 would be better for you as XBeach won't have to spend time generating the boundary conditions as it will with option 1 for all runs (it will simply read the bcf files for that).

Cheers,
Arnold
BP
Benjamin Phillips, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Reusing a JONSWAP wave spectrum

Capillary Posts: 6 Join Date: 3/1/16 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,

Thanks very much for the advice. I'd already tried the second option, but for some reason there seemed to be no to very little wave forcing and I wondered whether reuse worked in non-hydrostatic mode. I'll try your first option.

Thanks again
Ben