bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: Minimizing reflections for obliquely incident waves on lateral boundari

JC
Jaime Calzada-Marrero, modified 3 Years ago.

Minimizing reflections for obliquely incident waves on lateral boundaries/

Capillary Posts: 18 Join Date: 3/4/14 Recent Posts
Hi All,

I'm running a simulation on XBeach on non-hydrostatic mode. The incident waves have a steep angle w.r.t the computational axis, and although that causes a shadow zone, this is acceptable for my current purposes. Now, the question is, in other models there is usually an option to set sponges on the lateral sides to minimize reflections from the incident waves. I'm a bit confused on the options at my dospisal to handle this reflections on XBeach.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-Reniel

****UPDATE: I think I found a solution. Even though the model is 2D, setting left/right = abs_1d seems to do away with a lot of the wave energy. However it is not perfect as there is still some slight reflections. If anyone has more suggestions, they're very welcome and appreciated.
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Jaime,

Have a look in the manual section 3.2.2 (https://oss.deltares.nl/documents/48999/49476/XBeach_manual_Kingsday.pdf). THere are different options that you may want to try. If your waves are very oblique you might want to try the cyclic option. I haven't tried it for nonh yet, but I think it should work.

Cheers,
Arnold
JC
Jaime Calzada-Marrero, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 18 Join Date: 3/4/14 Recent Posts
Thanks for your answer, and sorry I'm coming back to this thread after so long.

The problem with cyclic boundaries is that my bathymetry is very irregular and I would have to create artificial beaches that go from 20 meters back to zero.

To give you an idea, one lateral side of the domain is 20 meters below, while the other side is a mountain. I could probably blank out the mountain from the digital elevation model and create a slope down to 20 meters on that side, but I would prefer if I could just apply a lateral sponge layer.

By the way, is there a particular reason why XBeach doesn't have lateral sponge layers? One would think this is a pretty standard thing for phase resolving models...