bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: Grid numbers nx and ny

TG
Thamali Gunaratna, modified 3 Years ago.

Grid numbers nx and ny

Capillary Posts: 17 Join Date: 1/2/16 Recent Posts
Dear All,

I need to make a matrix of 130*5. So my nx = 130 and ny = 5 or is it nx = 129 and ny = 4?
I am always confused about this.
Because the grids are made one number increased as nx+1 and ny+1.

Please clarify.

Thamali
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Grid numbers nx and ny

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Thamali,

When you say 'need to make a matrix' are you talking about your Xbeach grid/bathy? XBeach uses a staggered grid which means that the water levels and velocities are not solved at the same locations (i.e. water levels in cell centers, velocities at cell faces) that's why your grid and bathy need to be nx+1 and ny+1 in size. So as a rule of thumb just make sure nx is is always one less than the size of your grid and same for ny.

See also the new manual for details: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306037851_XBeach_Technical_Reference_Kingsday_Release

Cheers
Arnold