bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: What happens to wave energy when it propagates outside the wave grid li

JC
Jaime Calzada-Marrero, modified 3 Years ago.

What happens to wave energy when it propagates outside the wave grid limits

Capillary Posts: 18 Join Date: 3/4/14 Recent Posts
Hi All,

I have a technical question. Suppose I set my wave grid in XBeach to be thetamin=-90 thetamax=90 and my bins are 20 degrees apart, and my waves are propagating at a zero degree angle.

Suppose then, that the waves hit a fully reflecting wall, so the reflected wave would need to propagate towards 180 degrees...

Since 180 degrees is outside the range specified by thetamin and thetamax, what happens to the wave energy in that case?

-Jaime
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: What happens to wave energy when it propagates outside the wave grid li (Answer)

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Jaime,

Your wave grid only applies to the sea-swell (short) waves which are solved by the wave action balance when you are using stationary or surfbeat mode. In these type of (energy-based) models, reflection is not accounted for.

You can only have reflection of infragravity waves (if using surfbeat), or even sea-swell waves (non-hydrostatic mode) which are then both solved through the nonlinear shallow water equations, which is independent of the wave grid.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Arnold
JC
Jaime Calzada-Marrero, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: What happens to wave energy when it propagates outside the wave grid li

Capillary Posts: 18 Join Date: 3/4/14 Recent Posts
Thank you for your answer, that truly helps in improving my understanding!