bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

Problems compiling xbeach on MacOS Sierra

MW
Michelle Wilber, modified 2 Years ago.

Problems compiling xbeach on MacOS Sierra

Capillary Posts: 1 Join Date: 2/6/17 Recent Posts
Hi! I'm pretty new at all this, so excuse any naive assumptions or questions I have. I am trying to compile XBeach on my macbook using these instructions:
https://publicwiki.deltares.nl/display/XBEACH/Compile+XBeach+on+Mac+OS+X

Can anyone help me with my failure to make this work?

The first time I went through the cookbook steps on the url above, I had an error where Port pkg-config couldn't be found, so I figured out I needed to change that to 'pkgconfig'. Then I didn't realize it had failed to get to netcdf and netcdf-fortran until after going through the rest of the steps and getting a configuration error, so I port installed netcdf and netcdf-fortran.

All went well, it seemed, until running ./configure --with-netcdf

This is a portion of the output on my terminal that seems pertinent, I can reproduce more of it if needed:

checking for gfortran... gfortran
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
checking whether gfortran accepts -g... no
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
libtool.m4: error: problem compiling FC test program
checking for gfortran option to produce PIC... -fno-common
checking if gfortran PIC flag -fno-common works... no
checking if gfortran static flag works... no
checking if gfortran supports -c -o file.o... no
checking if gfortran supports -c -o file.o... (cached) no
checking whether the gfortran linker (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin16.4.0 dyld
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking for Fortran flag needed to accept free-form source... unknown
configure: error: Fortran does not accept free-form source

I tried various things to rectify any errors I made by not have netcdf and netcdf-fortran when I had gone on with the rest of it - make clean and then started uninstalling and re-installing gfortran and xbeach source... Nothing fixed my errors - it's been the same as above through all this, but I've messed a bit, so definitely room for user error...
Thanks for any help!!