bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: Hard layer

BW
Baoxing Wang, modified 4 Years ago.

Hard layer

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 9/10/15 Recent Posts
Dear all,

Does anyone advise me how to apply a hard layer/structure into the XBeach? In the manual this has been defined as an advanced option without a detailed description.

Many thanks,

Baoxing
AG
Alireza Gh, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: Hard layer (Answer)

Capillary Posts: 11 Join Date: 3/2/13 Recent Posts
Hello,
I think you can set zero sediment layer thickness in grids which match your structure location.
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 4 Years ago.

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Baoxing, Alireza,

You can use hard layers in XBeach, more information can be found in the new manual:
oss.deltares.nl/documents/48999/49476/XBeach_manual_11032015.pdf (section 6.2.10)

The idea is indeed to generate a file that looks similar to the depth file, but instead of bottom height you specifiy the sediment thickness. So in case of 0 thickness, no sediment can be eroded locally. If you want to include structures (like groynes) you have to include that also in the bathymetry file (so locally higher bed at the location of the groyne and then zero sediment in the sediment thickness file).

Cheers,
Arnold
Vincent Wolf, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 4/20/15 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,

I'm also getting started with hard layers and was wondering if there's an easy way of editing the bed.dep file. My file has 274 values andI can imagine there's a easy way of editing, rather editing each separate value.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Greetings
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

Hi Vincent,

Yes there is, fortunately emoticon. I think most people use MATLAB to edit their bathy files. But you can use any similar package/language, e.g. Python.

Another way is to use the Delft3D GUI. The QUICKIN tool of Delft3D can also be used if you have a Delft3D type grid.

Cheers,
Arnold
MF
Maria Fotia, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 4 Join Date: 7/13/16 Recent Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a hard structure (a breakwater) parallel to the shore. I would like to ask whether I could decrease the reflection from the breakwater. I 'm using the non-hydrostatic module and I have non-erodible layers everywhere.

many thanks,
Maria
KC
Kristopher Calder, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 8 Join Date: 10/27/16 Recent Posts
Vincent Wolf:
Hi Arnold,

I'm also getting started with hard layers and was wondering if there's an easy way of editing the bed.dep file. My file has 274 values andI can imagine there's a easy way of editing, rather editing each separate value.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Greetings

Hi Vincent,

The RGFgrid and Quicken toolboxes supported by Deltares Delft3D are also very useful tools for creating/editing any grid or depth files, including those for hard structures.

I found that the best way of identifying the exact location of a hard structure in my grid was to draw a polygon that could then be brought into Quicken. Using the Edit depth function it was then possible to adjust this area to a height that reflected the non erodible hard layer.

Kris
Nipuni Odara, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 6 Join Date: 7/6/16 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,

Good day!

Thank you for this very informative discussion, quite useful.

I tried downloading the manual (oss.deltares.nl/documents/48999/49476/XBeach_manual_11032015.pdf) using tortise, and unfortunately it failed.

Is there an alternative way to get this document?

Thanks and regards,
Nipuni
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

Hi Nipuni,

You should be able to download the manual with any browser (Google Chrome, Firefox etc., but I just noticed that the link does not work any more. You can now find an online version of the manual on http://xbeach.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

We also put it on ResearchGate:https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306037851_XBeach_Technical_Reference_Kingsday_Release if you prefer the pdf

Cheers
Arnold
HD
Harold Diaz, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/21/17 Recent Posts
Hi everyone, i'm new in Xbeach and i'm really happy to find such community working hard together to enhanced this powerfull application.

The thing is that i need to put a vertical structure into the model, after reading all the post (and manual) regarding hard layers, i'm not yet sure about how to put it into the model.

If i understood well from this "If you want to include structures (like groynes) you have to include that also in the bathymetry file (so locally higher bed at the location of the groyne and then zero sediment in the sediment thickness file).", the input has to have two callings for two layers, one for non-erodible layer, which represent the height of the estructure in my case (called with the keyword "depfile") , and another one with the thickness of the erodible layer, called with the keyword ne_layer.

As a ilustrative 1D example of ten points grid 1D example

y.grd ==[0]
x.grd == [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

%% Grid input

depfile = bed.grd where bed.grd = [ 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 5 5 3 ]
ne_layer =nebed.grd where nebed.grd = [ 0.1 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.2 0 0 0 0]

Is that correct? If, not correct me please.emoticon

Thanks in advance!!
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 2 Years ago.

Hi Harold,

Welcome to the XBeach community!

I find the hard layer specification also a bit confusing, but it seems that you have understood it well.

Just to be sure: with the setup you describe you will get a sediment thickness of 0.1, 0.5, 0.6 etc. , so in the model this means you will have a hard layer under those sediment layers (i.e. sediment wont be able to erode more than those thickness values). Also, make sure you have the keyword struct = 1 in your params.txt

Cheers
Arnold
HD
Harold Diaz, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/21/17 Recent Posts
Hi again, I already run the model with all the option and configuration mentioned, but when ask for the output "zb", the program just give me the no erodible layer as output, how i get the erodible layer? any special keywork?

Cheers!
Harold
CW
Caroline Webb, modified 1 Month ago.

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 2/5/20 Recent Posts
Found some very good information on how to apply a hard layer into the XBeach. Thanks for sharing.Caroline,http://www.personalstatementfolks.co.uk/
IW
Ida Wallace, modified 1 Month ago.

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 1/29/20 Recent Posts
Assignment Help Folks is a trustworthy company for taking assignment writing service on various subjects like nursing, finance, psychology-http://www.assignmenthelpfolks.com/psychology/ , economic, static, marketing with error free and unique contents at nominal price. 
AJ
Alex Juvion, modified 22 Hours ago.

Capillary Posts: 5 Join Date: 1/30/20 Recent Posts
I hope you get your answer soon. I am one of the senior writer of british assignment writers team and serving assignment crafting service for UK’s college students at very affordable rate.