bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

making 2d xbeach model more efficient

TM
Tyler Miesse, modified 1 Year ago.

making 2d xbeach model more efficient

Capillary Posts: 4 Join Date: 6/8/17 Recent Posts

Hey guys,

I have a running 2d model and I was trying to use dtset to manually set the time step. Are the units for dtset in seconds? If it is xbeach is not recognizing this parameter and only relying on the CFL. 

My overall goal is to optimize the 2d model as much as possible without coarsing the grid out to much. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Tyler 

Attachments:

MD
Menno de Ridder, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: making 2d xbeach model more efficient

Capillary Posts: 4 Join Date: 9/18/18 Recent Posts

Hi Tyler,

It seems that dtset is indeed not recognized. It is also possible to set the CFL condition to optimize the simulation time. However, a too large value of the CFL conditions, can result in a unstable simulations. Did you also use the Matlab scripts to create a spatial varying grid (both x and y direction). See https://xbeach.readthedocs.io/en/latest/matlab_toolbox.html#xb-modelsetup-xb-grid and https://xbeach.readthedocs.io/en/latest/matlab_toolbox.html#xb-grid-ygrid . This can have a large effect on the computational time as well!

Cheers,

Menno

TM
Tyler Miesse, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: making 2d xbeach model more efficient

Capillary Posts: 4 Join Date: 6/8/17 Recent Posts

Hey Menno,

Yes I used the xb_grid_xgrid and xb_grid_ygrid before I initialize the xb_generate_bathy function. This does help, but not to extent I was hoping.

I have several 1D models that take 50 min to run on 1 core for about 3 day model time. I don't expect the 2D to be this efficient, but I would like to at least take a few hours off the computation time.

--Tyler