bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

Global X from NetCDF and x.grd for 1D runs not the same

Russell Nasrallah, modified 10 Months ago.

Global X from NetCDF and x.grd for 1D runs not the same

Capillary Posts: 10 Join Date: 5/8/18 Recent Posts

Hello all, 
I am trying to plot some post-storm profiles in comparison to some post-storm lidar data I have. I tried to base them all on my x.grd file for sample spacing, but when I go to plot outputs of the model (based on global x from netCDF) and compare them to my actual post-storm profiles (based on the x.grd file), I noticed that the spacing between the two is different for some reason. 
I've attached an example of what I mean below. Does anyone know why xbeach (version 5527) might be modifying my x.grd file and creating a new spacing? 

The 'example profiles' text file below shows the x-distances and bed levels for one such 1d transect.  

RE: Global X from NetCDF and x.grd for 1D runs not the same

I did some additional testing with the Groundhogs Day version and realized that perhaps this is happening due to the rotation of my domain. Previously I had been running in thetanaut = 1, but given that my domain is on th East Coast of the United States, I was having some trouble with the offshore boundary being on the right, not the left. I changed to Cartesian coordinates and incorporated an alfa=190 (since my shoreline is slightly nnw/sse orientation) and since then my global x has been modified, it is both shorter, and negative. Am I missing some other step I need to incorporate in order to have my domain keep its dimensions? It seems to have been foreshortened by the inclusion of the 190 degree alfa. I will be testing an alfa of 180 to determine if the global x then remains the same. 

Still trying to determine the source of the issue, and it seems like my global x is my x.grd after being multiplied by cos(alfa). Any idea why this is happening? It seems like it is shrinking my domain. (see my study area with transects attached)

All has been solved, 
After talking with some peers, I determined that since I rotated my domain by alfa, the global x and global y contained the rescaling effects and their resultant was the same distance as my x.grd file, therefore I am just using the same spacing for all points. 

SJ
snow jhon, modified 4 Months ago.

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/1/19 Recent Posts
thnx man