bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

RE: Windows error: Close program to prevent information loss

LB
Laurens Bart, modified 2 Years ago.

Windows error: Close program to prevent information loss

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 9/26/16 Recent Posts
Hi everyone,

For my graduation thesis I am trying to use XBeach for long-term modelling. I keep getting a Windows error (see below and in the attached image). I was wondering if other people have encountered this and could point out the problem. The params.txt and XBlog.txt file for the surfbeat model are also attached.

The error
Close programs to prevent information loss
Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs:
xbeach

XBerror.txt does not display an error.

My long term simulation of 375 days (no morfac) is then stopped at about 244 days (at about the 5430th to 5480th condition). A solution for me is to re-initiate the model at that point after extracting the bathymetry from the model, but this takes quite some time, so it would be great if someone knows what is happening.

I didn't see any strange behaviour in the RAM usage or increase in RAM while it was still running (I couldn't check the RAM usage of the entire simulation period). There was plenty of hard disk space.

My model
I am using rev5052 and run the model locally. Both stationary and surfbeat models crash.

I am currently trying to run my reference 1D model for 375 days. I don't want to use a wave input reduction or morfac for this model yet and therefore I have a lot of wave and tidal boundary conditions:

- jons_table: specified every 3600 seconds. 9000 conditions
- tide/surge: specified every 600 seconds. 54000 conditions

I saw in another forum thread ("Serious problem: not enough free unit ids to create new file") that it is not possible to use more than 900 wave boundary conditions in certain releases, but the tryunit value in the 5052 release is set to 9999 (filefunctions.F90) so my 9000 conditions shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any replies and help,
Laurens
KC
Kristopher Calder, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 8 Join Date: 10/27/16 Recent Posts
Hi Laurens,

Based on your params.txt file it would appear your model simulation is way too long. If you look at all of the examples that are provided in with the manual, none of them run for anywhere near as long as yours.

I would suggest decreasing the duration of the model with an aim to reduce the number of wave and tide conditions. Alternatively, you could decrease the number of wave conditions by using the average of every 10 wave conditions etc as model input.

I think there has been another post on the XBeach forum about this subject, however I couldn't find it during my quick search this morning.

Good luck with your project.

Kris
LB
Laurens Bart, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 9/26/16 Recent Posts
Hi Kris,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately a wave climate reduction as you mentioned is undesirable for my simulations.

We did some more tests and discovered that the memory use increases during my surfbeat simulations (using instat = jons_table). The model appears to crash when the server runs out of memory. Also stationary models crash (both instat = stat_table and instat = stat), but we do not observe the same behaviour in memory usage in those models.
My conclusion for now would be that there is a memory leak in XBeach. I am going to test whether using instat = reuse will bypass this problem. Otherwise I will run the model in parts.

I'll post any updates here.

Kind regards,
Laurens
AM
Andrew Merry, modified 2 Months ago.

Capillary Posts: 1 Join Date: 7/30/19 Recent Posts
I have also faced the same error with my Windows 10 system and I have searched a lot on the Internet to get it solved, and finally, snapchat australia helped me a lot to get rid of such error. 
SK
Sophia Kelly, modified 1 Month ago.

Capillary Posts: 1 Join Date: 9/10/19 Recent Posts
 I recently received this Close programs to prevent information loss . TIP: Download this tool to quickly find & fix Windows errors automatically. Change AOL Password