bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

Estimate wave overtopping...

Pushpa Dissanayake, modified 6 Years ago.

Estimate wave overtopping...

Wind Posts: 59 Join Date: 5/3/11 Recent Posts
Good day all,

Does anyone already use XBeach to estimate wave overtopping volume? Any hints are greatly appreciated as I am trying to adjust XBeach for this specific function.

Thanks a lot!
Robert McCall, modified 6 Years ago.

RE: Estimate wave overtopping...

Wind Posts: 83 Join Date: 3/24/11 Recent Posts
Hi Dissa,

If you're willing to spend the computational effort to compute individual waves in XBeach using the non-hydrostatic flow model, you can compute overtopping rates well. At least we have shown this to work well when computing overtopping time series on a gravel barrier (see last section in this paper).

If you need to use the wave action balance model, then you will have to relate wave energy to runup and overtopping using an empirical relation. I believe there is a branch of XBeach in which people are looking into the feasibility of this, but any help with this work would undoubtedly be appreciated.

I hope this helps,

Robert
Pushpa Dissanayake, modified 6 Years ago.

Wind Posts: 59 Join Date: 5/3/11 Recent Posts
Thanks Robert,

I will first check the non-hydrostatic approach and then the wave energy approach.
MM
Marco Miani, modified 5 Years ago.

Wind Posts: 40 Join Date: 4/1/14 Recent Posts
HI Dissa,

I am working on wave overtopping and dune breaching. I've just started using Xbeach, as I abandoned SWASH (nonhydrostatic too), since there is no breaching (or bed updating) option.
My final aim is to speculate about hinterland inundation, starting from breaching/no breaching. To do so I am currently evaluating overtopping volumes over a dike (see attached images).

I am also interested in this specific aspect and, as for now, I am attempting to reproduce the example presented in "Xbeach on youtube section":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeaW-obWY6s&feature=youtube_gdata

Could make any steps forward?
Pieter van Geer, modified 5 Years ago.

Swell Posts: 176 Join Date: 1/5/11 Recent Posts
Hi Marco,

In 2011 Jaap van Thiel de Vries incorporated runup of short waves in the hydrostatic model in a parametric way. This was aimed at getting dune erosion above dune foot revetments. Maybe this is the work Robert mentioned earlier. It is at this moment part of the trunk. Jaap described the approach in this paper for the ICCE2012. It is no full solution for your problem yet as it only calculates an additional runup level due to short waves. Maybe you can start here and develop it further to also calculate an overtopping volume?

It should be noted that this approach only works for 1D, not 2D cases and by default it is turned off as far as I know (i don't know the parameters needed to get it working by heart...).

Hope this helps you any further.

Cheers,
Pieter
MM
Marco Miani, modified 5 Years ago.

Wind Posts: 40 Join Date: 4/1/14 Recent Posts
Hi Pieter!

Thank you very much for your comment. This is good fuel to start. Your idea of taking this as a starting point to develop it further sounds intriguing and interesting.

Will keep you posted on that.

Kind regards
Marco

Pieter van Geer:
Hi Marco,

In 2011 Jaap van Thiel de Vries incorporated runup of short waves in the hydrostatic model in a parametric way. This was aimed at getting dune erosion above dune foot revetments. Maybe this is the work Robert mentioned earlier. It is at this moment part of the trunk. Jaap described the approach in this paper for the ICCE2012. It is no full solution for your problem yet as it only calculates an additional runup level due to short waves. Maybe you can start here and develop it further to also calculate an overtopping volume?

It should be noted that this approach only works for 1D, not 2D cases and by default it is turned off as far as I know (i don't know the parameters needed to get it working by heart...).

Hope this helps you any further.

Cheers,
Pieter