bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

Anyone compiling with gcc v8+?

SF
Scott Feister, modified 1 Month ago.

Anyone compiling with gcc v8+?

Capillary Posts: 8 Join Date: 10/11/19 Recent Posts
Hi all,
Has anyone succeeded at compiling XBeach with a gcc/gfortran version >7?
I've found I need to downgrade to gcc/gfortran v7 in order to get XBeach to compile. Otherwise (for svn revision 5590), mnemoniciso.F90 gives me problems -- I get errors of the form "Component... must have length one." I got these errors with gfortran v8 and gfortran v9, on two different systems.
Here are more error details:
"""   PPFC     libxbeach_la-mnemoniciso.lo
mnemoniciso.F90:13:52:
        character(kind=c_char, len=maxnamelen) :: name     ! 'v','ve', .....                                                    1Error: Component 'name' of BIND(C) type at (1) must have length onemnemoniciso.F90:14:45:        character(kind=c_char, len=20) :: units     ! m, following udunits convention                                             1Error: Component 'units' of BIND(C) type at (1) must have length onemnemoniciso.F90:15:53:        character(kind=c_char, len=1024) :: description                                                     1Error: Component 'description' of BIND(C) type at (1) must have length onemnemoniciso.F90:16:70:        character(kind=c_char, len=20), dimension(maxrank) :: dimensions ! the dimensions of the variable, for example (s%nx, s%ny)                                                                      1Error: Component 'dimensions' of BIND(C) type at (1) must have length onemake[4]: *** [Makefile:719: libxbeach_la-mnemoniciso.lo] Error 1make[4]: Leaving directory '/global/u1/s/sfeister/xbeach/trunk/src/xbeachlibrary'"""
SF

RE: Anyone compiling with gcc v8+?

Here is a forum post on GitHub explaining this error, which has to do with the way C & Fortran are linked.
https://github.com/oasys-kit/shadow3/issues/35
It looks like a pretty recent problem, so maybe wasn't addressed by SVN Revision 5590 -- but maybe is now. I'll try to compile again with a newer svn version of XBeach.
SF

RE: Anyone compiling with gcc v8+?

Update: I tested again with XBeach trunk svn revision 5606 (current version). The problem is still here!