bug message reminder

When adressing a model crash or bug, please remember to include an entire model setup in your post that reproduces the crash or exposes the bug. Also add the XBlog.txt file. This is necessary information for people that are trying to help you. Including your model setup can be achieved by adding the zipped run directory (excluding output) as an attachment to the post.

Forum

Ship waves in XBeach

Arnold van Rooijen, modified 3 Years ago.

Ship waves in XBeach

Swell Posts: 239 Join Date: 11/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi all,

As you may know you can also use XBeach for simulating ship-induced waves. The functionality has been implemented for some time now, but I would like to hereby point you at some references: De Jong et al. (2013), Van der Hout et al. (2015) and Zhou et al. (2014).

For more information on the ship-wave functionality, please check the manual.

Arnold
AL
Aurélie LE DISSEZ, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Ship waves in XBeach

Capillary Posts: 1 Join Date: 11/25/15 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,
Interested in modelling ship waves using Xbeach, I wonder how to describe the ship in the model. Reading the user manual, I understand that the ship can be described in detail in a file "ship.dep". But looking for an instance for such a file, I read de Jong's paper (2013) where it is written that ' Furthermore, only one draft per horizontal coordinate can be prescribed. This means that certain details of the shape of the hull, such as a bulbous bow, cannot be described'. Could you tell me more about this ship description file? Would you have an example o file to send?
Best regards,
Aurélie.

Hi Aurelie,

Apologies for this (super) late response. I can send you some example files if you are still interested. I tried to upload them on the website, but for some reason did not succeed. I sent you an email, so if you are still interested please reply to that one.

Cheers,
Arnold
Mao lei, modified 3 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/27/15 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,
I am interested in modelling ship waves using Xbeach, but I cant find examples about this function in Xbeach. Can you send me the examples about this topic to my email? My email address maoxiaomao426@163.com
Thank you very much.

Hi Mao,

I just emailed you the files. Hope it was not too late

Cheers,
Arnold
SC
Shue C L, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 1 Join Date: 9/26/16 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,

I am interested in modelling ship waves using XBeach. I have tried using the function for shipfile but failed.
As i am new to the program, I will like to seek your kind help and advice on this program.

Is it possible to send me some sample setup files for ship waves?
My email address is e0011242@u.nus.edu.

Your kind help is deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shue
IC
instjack cheng, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 12/7/11 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,
I am also interested in modelling ship waves using Xbeach,
Could you please emailed me the files about the examples?
My e-mail: jacklc2004@163.com.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Jack
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 2 Years ago.

Hi Shue, Jack,

Please find attached an example model setup for XB-Ship. I also enclosed the Matlab script that I used to create the files. Please note that I make use of the Open Earth Toolbox (www.openearth.eu). I'd recommend to register (free of charge) and make a local check-out of the Open Earth Matlab Toolbox which includes a large number of handy tools for setting up an XBeach model.

Cheers
Arnold
Arnold van Rooijen, modified 2 Years ago.

LT
Luther Terblanche, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 3 Join Date: 6/5/12 Recent Posts
Hi Arnold,

I am currently looking into ship wave forces with Xbeach and comparing to a panel model. I have a sailing vessel and a stationary vessel. My questions in brief:

1) Is it correct to specify the position of the stationary vessel also with a vessel track file, but with only two identical coordinates at the start and end time of the simulation?

2) How do I specify the heading of the stationary vessel?

3) The wave force and moment outputs are in metres? Is this a typo in the output? Also, the Forces on the stationary vessel has some large constant value (not zero) at the start of the simulation before the vessel passes. Is it some kind of static pressure force that needs to be subtracted?

Your help will be appreciated. Or any other more detailed documentation on shipwaves in Xbeach? A thesis maybe?

Thank you.

Regards
Luther
KK
kyonghwan kwon, modified 2 Years ago.

Capillary Posts: 1 Join Date: 6/9/11 Recent Posts
Hello, Arnold
I'm trying to simulate ship waves.
And I'm looking for functional documents and references about moving pressure fields.
I can't find it on upper references.
May I have any references about moving pressure fields applied to x-beach.

best regards.
kyonghwan