Forum

RE: GUI pre-/post-processing programs for Delft3D on Linux

U
Daijiro Kobashi, modified 10 Years ago.

GUI pre-/post-processing programs for Delft3D on Linux

Dear All,

I need clarification on the Delft3D pre-/post-processing programs.
I installed Delft3D on my Ubuntu Linux and am ready to play with it; but I cannot find any gui programs.
I might be misunderstanding, but does this open-sourced Delft3D not come with GUI programs such as RGFGRID, QUICKIN?

I checked the following site (http://oss.deltares.nl/web/opendelft3d/prepostprocessing) and it says that the above programs will not be available until 2012, but in my understanding, Delft3D has the linux version of GUI... In the manual of the Delft3D flow model, it says we can open the GUI by typing delft3d-menu on terminal...

Hmm... for me as a newbie to the Delft model (my colleague uses it), I am not sure how to use this model without such GUI programs...

Could anybody clarify that?

Sincerely,

DJ
Bert Jagers, modified 10 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 12/22/10 Recent Posts
Dear DJ,

I might be misunderstanding, but does this open-sourced Delft3D not come with GUI programs such as RGFGRID, QUICKIN?

I checked the following site (http://oss.deltares.nl/web/opendelft3d/prepostprocessing) and it says that the above programs will not be available until 2012

There were some issues with proprietary libraries in RGFGRID and QUICKIN that needed to be resolved and we need to do some code cleaning before the source code can be released. Hence the tentative release schedule for the source code of those tools mentioned on that page. At least until the source code becomes available, the tools will be provided as executables. Unfortunately that means, only on the platforms that we support.

... in my understanding, Delft3D has the linux version of GUI... In the manual of the Delft3D flow model, it says we can open the GUI by typing delft3d-menu on terminal...

Indeed, since fairly recently we have the GUI's working on both Windows and Linux again, hence the updated manual. However, the Linux installer that contains those executables hasn't been released yet, hence it's not yet mentioned on the website as available. Since most people have also Windows machines, a suitable work around has been to use the Windows pre- and postprocessing tools. However, if you've only a Linux box, we'll try to provide a solution to you offline.

To all readers: As long as the Linux release hasn't been officially released, please leave a message in this thread if you're also interested in pre- and postprocessing on Linux. We understand that learning a model like Delft3D isn't easy in general and definitely difficult without appropriate GUI tools.

Best regards,

Bert
YK
Yitping Kok, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 11/6/17 Recent Posts

To all readers: As long as the Linux release hasn't been officially released, please leave a message in this thread if you're also interested in pre- and postprocessing on Linux. We understand that learning a model like Delft3D isn't easy in general and definitely difficult without appropriate GUI tools.

Since it is way past 2012 and we still don't have an open source GUI, I would like to express my interest here and hopefully revive the demand. Thanks very much.
U
Nicholas Herold, modified 3 Years ago.

I second this. Coming from a climate modelling background I don't mind not having a GUI (and actually using a GUI feels like you are one step further away from the model). But it seems some operations just aren't feasible without the GUI (e.g. creating boundary conditions). So I wholeheartedly request a Linux release of all the necessary programs needed to set up and run Delft3D in Linux.
Qinghua Ye, modified 3 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 33 Join Date: 3/2/11 Recent Posts
Hi Nicholas,

Good point! I would think that to develop/update the Linux GUI from Deltares will take a while. So a temporary solution is to setup the model on a Windows platform and run the model on Linux. Good side is that all the input files are all ASCII based.

Cheers,

Qinghua
JB
Jose Beya, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/3/11 Recent Posts

I am very interested. I am installing Delft3d on Linux now. It seems that for now, we need to set up the files using the Windows GUI.

What version of Delft3D work with the GUI?

In the download source says that this only work forĀ  Delft3D 4.03.00. However, in the SVN source code tags folder there are other versions, where the closest one seems to be 4.00.03.0565.

Thanks!